Sunday 21 November 2010

From There to Here, 7 Years Ago ...

7 years ago today we arrived in Dubrovnik from Mallorca, Balearic Islands. Sometimes Dubrovnik feels like an island - bordered by coasts of Bosnia (albeit tiny) and Montenegro.
We started with this in Mallorca ... great little car (one previous lady owner, non smoker)

Then progressed to .... NO! I jest, this is a rental car on the island of Mljet, so cute!

Then progressed to this for our drive across the Continent. This little beast is now happily back in Mallorca, we returned and sold it to an Argentinean family.

One of the many golden sand beaches of Mallorca, this being Playa de Palma at dawn

The same beach in Mallorca during the day, off season. I admit, I still do miss my sandy beaches

The town beach of Dubrovnik, Banja. What a glorious backdrop of the Old Town!

My old drive to work in Palma used to take me past the breathtaking beauty of the impressive Gothic Cathedral along the Paseo Maritimo

Now, when I drive to the supermarket I pass this glorious sight of the Old Town Dubrovnik

Mallorca: Our old apartment building (one of 4 apartments in 4 years! we liked to move ... then)

With a lovely swimming pool and gardens ...

Mallorca: one of our previous apartments with a smidgen of sea view ... and view of the neighbours swimming pool ...

Dubrovnik: where we live now ... er ... no, you didn't think I would show you where I live now did you? Might get the paparazzi ... needless to say we live in a stone house with a red roof ...

Mallorca: My man's former place of work ...

Croatia: my man's former place of work last year. I love blue hulls on yachts ...

Croatia: My man's current place of work .... well over 60 metres ... but currently not in Croatia

Mallorca: The beautiful Puerto Portals marina

Mallorca: The gorgeous Puerto Portals promenade with expensive restaurants ...

Mallorca: another view of the marina with the glorious turquoise sea

Croatia: the ACI marina in Dubrovnik, sleepy little place until summer, when it's full of action. Great restaurant too and not expensive as Mallorca!

Mallorca: our old beach and sunbathing area. The clear waters are stunning

Mallorca: one of my favourite places of Maioris, overlooking the Bay of Palma

Croatia: a deserted cove on the Peljesac Peninsula .... a little piece of heaven

Croatia: My view at dawn .................................. great start to the day when you see this

Croatia: fabulous Adriatic Sea and sunshine

Croatia: Azure Croatia! (NB I did not post a pic of our view in Mallorca, as we did not have a view as such, just onto a neighbours villa ....)


So, 7 years ago today we made the big leap over to Croatia ... lots of great memories of Mallorca of course. Croatia is the longest time ever in one place, since I began my travels in 1987. Just by seeing some of the above photos and reading this blog makes you realise what has captivated me and kept me here for all those years .....

No comments:

Post a Comment